Understanding the Abutment Placement Phase of Dental Implants
13 September 2023
Let’s explore the often-overlooked yet critical phase of dental implants – the abutment placement.
The Role of Abutments
Before we dive into the intricacies of the abutment placement phase, let’s clarify the role of abutments in dental implants. Abutments are small connectors that serve as the link between the implant fixture and the dental restoration, such as a crown, bridge, or denture. These connectors are typically made from materials like titanium or zirconia, known for their biocompatibility and strength.
The Abutment Placement Phase
The abutment placement phase occurs after the initial surgical placement of the implant fixture into the jawbone, a process known as osseointegration. This phase is essential for the following reasons:
Exposing the Implant
During the abutment placement phase, the oral surgeon or dentist will make a small incision in the gum tissue to expose the top of the dental implant. This is a precise and delicate procedure that requires skill and expertise.
Attaching the Abutment
Once the implant is exposed, the abutment is carefully attached to it. The abutment is secured firmly onto the implant using a screw or cement. This connection is crucial because it provides stability for the eventual dental restoration.
After the abutment is in place, the gum tissue is sutured around it. This aids in the healing process, allowing the gum tissue to adapt to the abutment’s presence.
Once the gum tissue has healed around the abutment, impressions of the abutment and adjacent teeth are taken. These impressions are used to create a custom dental restoration that will fit seamlessly into your smile.
Fabricating the Restoration
A dental laboratory fabricates the final restoration, which could be a crown, bridge, or denture, depending on the patient’s needs. The restoration is carefully designed to match the colour, shape, and size of the natural teeth.
Once the restoration is ready, it is placed onto the abutment. The dentist ensures a precise fit and checks the patient’s bite to ensure comfort and functionality.
Can Abutment Placement Fail?
While it is typically a successful procedure, there are some factors that can lead to abutment placement failure.
Inadequate Osseointegration: The most common reason for abutment placement failure is inadequate osseointegration. Osseointegration is the process by which the implant fuses with the jawbone. If this process is not successful, it can lead to implant instability and ultimately abutment placement failure.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Maintaining proper oral hygiene is crucial throughout the dental implant process. If a patient fails to follow good oral hygiene practices, it can result in infection or inflammation around the implant site, which may lead to abutment placement failure.
- Peri-implantitis: Peri-implantitis is a condition similar to gum disease but specific to dental implants. It can cause inflammation and bone loss around the implant, which, if left untreated, can lead to abutment placement failure.
- Implant Overloading: Placing excessive pressure on the implant before it has fully integrated with the jawbone can lead to failure. This can occur if a patient chews on hard or tough foods too soon after implant placement.
- Inadequate Bone Density: Insufficient bone density or volume in the implant area can make it challenging for the implant to integrate successfully. In such cases, bone grafting or other procedures may be necessary before abutment placement.
- Implant Misalignment: If the implant is not positioned correctly during the surgical phase, it can lead to difficulties in placing the abutment properly, potentially resulting in failure.
- Compromised Healing: Health conditions like diabetes or smoking can impair the body’s ability to heal effectively, increasing the risk of abutment placement failure.
- Poor-Quality Materials: The use of subpar implant materials can also contribute to abutment placement failure. It’s essential to use high-quality, medically approved materials for dental implants.
Abutment placement failure is relatively rare when the procedure is performed by a skilled and experienced implantologist and when patients adhere to post-operative care instructions and maintain good oral hygiene.
Why Choose Tonbridge Gentle Dental for Your Dental Implants in Tonbridge, Kent
Choosing the right dental clinic for your dental implant needs is a crucial decision. When it comes to dental implants in Tonbridge, Tonbridge Gentle Dental stands out as a top choice for several compelling reasons.
Expertise and Experience
At Tonbridge Gentle Dental, you can trust our team of highly experienced and skilled dental professionals. Our dentists have years of experience in dental implant procedures and stay updated with the latest advancements in implant dentistry. You can be confident that you are in capable hands when you choose us for your dental implant treatment.
We understand that each patient is unique, and their dental implant needs may vary. That’s why we provide personalised care tailored to your specific requirements. Our team takes the time to assess your oral health, discuss your goals, and create a treatment plan that suits you best. We believe in open communication and collaboration to ensure your comfort and satisfaction throughout the process.
Tonbridge Gentle Dental is equipped with modern, state-of-the-art dental technology and facilities to provide the highest quality of care. Our advanced equipment allows for precise diagnostics, efficient treatment, and faster recovery times. We are committed to maintaining a clean, sterile environment to ensure your safety and well-being.
Our dental clinic offers a wide range of dental services beyond dental implants. Whether you require teeth whitening, orthodontics, or general dental care, we have you covered. This comprehensive approach means you can address all your dental needs under one roof, ensuring continuity of care and convenience for our patients.
We prioritise your comfort and well-being throughout your dental implant journey. Our friendly and compassionate team is here to address your concerns, answer your questions, and ease any anxiety you may have about the procedure. We strive to create a relaxing and stress-free environment for all our patients.
We believe that everyone should have access to high-quality dental care, including dental implants. Tonbridge Gentle Dental offers competitive pricing and flexible payment options to make dental implant treatment more accessible. Our team can work with you to find a financial solution that fits your budget.
Our track record of successful dental implant treatments and satisfied patients speaks for itself. We are dedicated to delivering exceptional results that not only restore your smile but also improve your overall oral health and quality of life. Your satisfaction is our ultimate goal.
What Our Patients Say
Our Location in Tonbridge for Dental Implants
We are conveniently located at 📍Unit 8, Pavilion Shopping Centre, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 1TE📍 Reaching us is straightforward, whether by car or public transportation.
Book Your Appointment Now
Simply provide us with your contact information to book an appointment for Dental Implants at Tonbridge Gentle Dental now: