Can anyone undergo tooth whitening?
24 September 2023
A dazzling smile can boost your confidence and leave a lasting impression. Tooth whitening is a popular cosmetic dental procedure that promises to enhance your smile by lightening the colour of your teeth. However, before you embark on this journey to a brighter smile, it’s crucial to understand if tooth whitening is suitable for you.
Eligibility for Tooth Whitening
Not everyone is automatically eligible for tooth whitening. Dentists assess your oral health and overall candidacy based on various factors. Suitable candidates for tooth whitening typically include individuals who:
- Have healthy teeth and gums: Tooth whitening is most effective when the oral health is in good condition, free from cavities or gum diseases.
- Are over the age of 18: Most dentists recommend that patients should be at least 18 years old before undergoing tooth whitening treatments.
- Do not have extensive dental work on the front teeth: Tooth whitening primarily works on natural teeth and may not have a significant impact on dental work like crowns or veneers.
- Are not pregnant or nursing: It’s generally recommended to postpone tooth whitening until after pregnancy or nursing.
- Have realistic expectations: Understanding that tooth whitening results may vary from person to person and that it’s not a permanent solution is essential.
- Are willing to follow aftercare instructions: Proper oral hygiene and avoiding stain-causing substances like coffee, tea, and tobacco are crucial for maintaining results.
Types of Tooth Whitening
There are two primary types of tooth whitening:
- Professional Whitening: This is performed by our dentist in our dental practice. It involves the use of high-concentration whitening agents and often provides quicker and more dramatic results.
- Home Whitening: Home whitening kits, provided by our dentists or available over the counter, allow you to whiten your teeth at home. They use lower-concentration whitening agents and typically require more extended treatment periods.
Professional vs. Home Whitening
Choosing between professional and home whitening depends on your preferences, budget, and the level of whitening you desire. Professional whitening is generally more potent and offers quicker results, while home whitening provides a more gradual transformation.
Regardless of the type of whitening you choose, the procedure involves the application of a whitening agent to your teeth. The agent penetrates the tooth enamel, breaking down stains and lightening the colour of your teeth. The process can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the method.
Tooth whitening is generally considered safe when administered by dental professionals. It’s essential to follow the guidance of our dentist and avoid unregulated, over-the-counter products. The safety of the procedure depends on proper application and adherence to recommended guidelines.
Side Effects and Risks
Common side effects of tooth whitening include tooth sensitivity and gum irritation. These side effects are usually mild and temporary. However, improper use of whitening products can lead to more severe issues, such as enamel damage.
After tooth whitening, it’s essential to maintain good oral hygiene practices and avoid stain-causing substances like coffee, tea, and tobacco. Regular dental check-ups will help ensure the longevity of your whitening results.
Why Choose Tonbridge Gentle Dental for Tooth Whitening?
At Tonbridge Gentle Dental, your smile is in expert hands. Our team of experienced dentists and dental hygienists have a deep understanding of tooth whitening techniques and will guide you through the process.
We understand that each patient is unique. We offer customised tooth whitening solutions tailored to your specific needs and preferences.
Safe and Effective
Our tooth whitening procedures are safe, minimally invasive, and deliver effective results. You can trust us to brighten your smile without compromising your oral health.
What Our Patients Say
Our Location in Tonbridge for Tooth Whitening
We are conveniently located at 📍Unit 8, Pavilion Shopping Centre, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 1TE📍 Reaching us is straightforward, whether by car or public transportation.
Book Your Appointment Now
Simply provide us with your contact information to book an appointment for Tooth Whitening at Tonbridge Gentle Dental now: