Composite Fillings in Tonbridge, Kent
Composite fillings offer a natural-looking and effective solution for dental restorations. At Tonbridge Gentle Dental, we pride ourselves on delivering high-quality composite fillings to enhance your smile and oral health.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings, often referred to as tooth-coloured or white fillings, are a type of dental restoration used to treat teeth that have been damaged by decay or minor fractures. These fillings are composed of a blend of plastic and fine glass particles, resulting in a material that closely resembles the natural colour and texture of your teeth.
Unlike traditional amalgam fillings, which are silver in colour and contain mercury, composite fillings are aesthetically pleasing and provide a more natural appearance. They are an excellent choice for repairing cavities, as they can be precisely matched to the shade of your existing teeth, making them virtually indistinguishable.
Composite fillings are a popular option, especially for visible teeth, as they offer both functional and cosmetic benefits.
Who Are the Candidate for Composite Fillings?
Candidates for composite fillings typically include individuals who:
- Have Dental Cavities: Composite fillings are commonly used to treat dental cavities or caries. Candidates have one or more teeth with areas of decay that need to be restored.
- Prefer Aesthetically Pleasing Results: Composite fillings are tooth-coloured and can be matched to the natural shade of your teeth. They are an excellent choice for individuals who want a more discreet and aesthetically pleasing option compared to traditional amalgam (silver) fillings.
- Desire Minimal Tooth Removal: Composite fillings require less removal of healthy tooth structure compared to amalgam fillings. Candidates who want to preserve as much of their natural tooth as possible may opt for composite fillings.
- Seek Immediate Results: The procedure for composite fillings can typically be completed in a single dental visit. Candidates who want prompt restoration of their decayed or damaged teeth may choose composite fillings.
- Prefer Mercury-Free Fillings: Unlike amalgam fillings, composite fillings do not contain mercury. Candidates who have concerns about mercury exposure or prefer mercury-free dental work may choose composites.
- Have Chipped or Cracked Teeth: Composite fillings can also be used to repair minor chips or cracks in teeth. Candidates with minor dental injuries may benefit from this cosmetic solution.
- Want to Replace Old Fillings: Some individuals may wish to replace their old or deteriorating amalgam fillings with tooth-coloured composite fillings for aesthetic reasons or if they have concerns about the integrity of their existing fillings.
Book an appointment with us to determine the most suitable treatment option for your specific dental needs. Our dentist will assess the condition of your teeth, discuss your preferences, and recommend the best course of action, which may include composite fillings when appropriate.
Advantages of Composite Fillings
Composite fillings offer several advantages, making them a preferred choice for many patients:
- Aesthetic Appeal: Composite fillings are tooth-coloured, allowing them to blend seamlessly with your natural teeth. This aesthetic advantage makes them an excellent choice for visible teeth, such as those in the front of your mouth.
- Preservation of Tooth Structure: Composite fillings require less removal of healthy tooth structure than amalgam fillings. This preservation of tooth structure is beneficial for the long-term health and strength of the tooth.
- Bonding Strength: Composite fillings bond directly to the tooth, providing added support and stability. This helps to prevent fractures and strengthens the tooth’s overall structure.
- Versatility: Composite fillings can be used for both front and back teeth and can repair a wide range of dental issues, from cavities to minor chips and cracks.
- Reduced Sensitivity: Unlike metal fillings, composite fillings do not conduct temperature changes as rapidly. This can reduce post-treatment sensitivity.
- Mercury-Free: Composite fillings do not contain mercury, addressing concerns some patients may have with traditional amalgam fillings.
- Easy Reparability: If a composite filling becomes damaged or worn over time, it can be easily repaired or replaced, ensuring the longevity of the restoration.
- Minimal Discoloration: Composite fillings are less likely to cause gray or darkening of the surrounding tooth structure, a common issue with amalgam fillings.
- Durability: With proper care and maintenance, composite fillings can provide long-lasting results, often equivalent to other filling materials.
- Enhanced Comfort: The bonding process and the absence of metal components can contribute to a more comfortable and natural feel in the mouth.
Procedure for Composite Fillings
The procedure for composite fillings typically involves the following steps:
- Diagnosis and Examination: The dentist will begin by examining your teeth and identifying the areas that require filling. This may involve taking X-rays to assess the extent of the decay or damage.
- Anaesthesia: Before the filling procedure begins, the dentist will administer a local anaesthetic to numb the affected tooth and the surrounding area. This ensures you remain comfortable and pain-free during the procedure.
- Removal of Decay: Using a dental drill or laser, the dentist will remove the decayed or damaged part of the tooth. This process creates a clean space for the filling material.
- Etching and Bonding: To ensure the composite material adheres securely to the tooth, the dentist will etch the tooth’s surface using a mildly acidic solution. After rinsing and drying the tooth, a bonding agent is applied. This agent helps the composite material adhere firmly.
- Application of Composite Material: The dentist will carefully layer and shape the tooth-colored composite resin onto the prepared tooth. They will use a special light to harden or “cure” each layer. This step is repeated until the tooth is fully restored.
- Shaping and Polishing: After the composite material has hardened, the dentist will trim and shape it to match the natural contours of your tooth. The final step involves polishing the filling to achieve a smooth and natural appearance.
- Checking Your Bite: The dentist will check your bite to ensure it’s properly aligned with the surrounding teeth. Adjustments may be made if necessary to ensure a comfortable and functional bite.
- Final Inspection: Your dentist will conduct a final inspection to ensure the composite filling looks and functions as intended. Any additional polishing or adjustments may be made at this stage.
- Post-Procedure Care: You’ll receive instructions on caring for your newly filled tooth. This may include avoiding certain foods or activities for a short period.
Cost of Composite Fillings
The cost of composite fillings at Tonbridge Gentle Dental starts from £120. The final cost can vary depending on several factors. These factors may include the number of fillings required, the size and location of the cavities, and the complexity of the procedure. To obtain an accurate estimate for your specific case, schedule a consultation with us. We can assess your needs and provide you with a personalised treatment plan and cost estimate.
Why Choose Tonbridge Gentle Dental for Composite Fillings
Tonbridge Gentle Dental is known for its experienced and skilled dental professionals who are dedicated to providing high-quality care. We prioritise patient comfort, ensuring that your experience is as pain-free and stress-free as possible. We use the latest dental technology and techniques, including advanced composite materials, to ensure durable and aesthetically pleasing fillings that blend seamlessly with your natural teeth.
Moreover, our clinic maintains strict hygiene and safety standards, creating a clean and sterilized environment for all procedures, including composite fillings. We also take the time to educate our patients about your oral health, helping you make informed decisions about your dental care.
Our commitment to patient-centric care, combined with our expertise and cutting-edge technology, makes Tonbridge Gentle Dental the ideal choice for your composite fillings, ensuring your smile remains healthy and beautiful.
What Our Patients Say
Our Location in Tonbridge
We are conveniently located at 📍Unit 8, Pavilion Shopping Centre, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 1TE📍 Reaching us is straightforward, whether by car or public transportation.
Book Your Appointment Now
Simply provide us with your contact information to book an appointment for Composite Fillings at Tonbridge Gentle Dental now: